Southwestern Alberta has some of the best backcountry just waiting to be explored. Horseback is an excellent non-motorized way of getting into these remote and beautiful areas. The Southern Alberta Trail Riders Association (SATRA) promotes and encourages safe responsible use of the backcountry.
We organize rides and help members find new and exciting areas to explore. Arenas are rented during the cold months to continue to educate and provide exercise for the horses. Education and learning programs are subsidized with facility rentals, equipment, clinician fees, education aids and promotional materials related to the equine industry. Additionally, we develop and clear trails in the southwest area of Alberta.
Participating in the Southern Alberta Trail Riders Association is both fun and exciting.
By organizing as a club, and in cooperation with other like-minded groups, we can:
- Promote and maintain equine trails on the Rocky Mountain eastern slopes in Southern Alberta
- Promote safe and responsible use of the wilderness
- Work with local and regional user groups
- Work with the government to create new and protect existing trails
- Organize and facilitate wilderness trail rides
- Ensure that club members have reasonable access to backcountry areas now and into the future
- Promote public education on equine behaviour and handling
- Provide a family-oriented equine environment